Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Always More than Two Possibilities

I got a challenge today. I was asked if I would rather be right or loved. Why do people create these pretend either/or decisions? I'd rather be right AND loved. I'd rather be rich AND happy. I'd rather be fast AND slow. More than one thing is possible at a time. And this also reminds me of that little piece of Yoda Starwars pseudo wisdom about, "Oh, there is no try..." That's bullshit, pardon my French. Same smart ass who asked me if I'd rather be right or loved tried to pull that one on me. Said, "Max, try to pick up that pen [from the desk]." I picked it up. He says, "I didn't tell you to pick it up, I told you to TRY to pick it up. Trying isn't doing." I set the pen down, pushed it toward him a little and said, "Pick up that pen without trying."

That's when he gave me the alternatives of either being right or loved. I have to admit I fell slightly into the dualistic trap because as I stood up I said, "I don't need you to love me. I need you to hire me." Then I walked out. Man's gotta have his dignity first, and I guess that means he has his food on the table second. I'd rather have a job AND dignity, but I guess forced to have one or the other, dignity's the foundation.

Man calls me half an hour later and offers me the management position instead of the lower level I went in for. Said he liked the thing about the pen, never thought of it that way before. So starting tomorrow I'll be finding worksites for the team, rather than just going to 'em. Well I gotta love that, right!?

MM

No comments: