Sunday, April 5, 2009

Ictheus frigidis

Aha! Another "A". I guess that means I'm a good student! I did my character analysis paper - now don't think I'm really getting that caught up in my own importance here, it's just a 101 class, but I wanted to become a better writer after starting this weblog and so I'm taking the class. I did my character analysis about a woman my wife works with, Julia. She's a middle manager with a very nice office who does accounting. The thing about Julia is she's a real cold fish. So I did my analysis on the presumption that somewhere inside was a nice warm person who was just afraid, but as I wrote, I concluded that actually she's a real cold fish and likes it that way.

I think I got good points for having an insight while writing, that I was able to guide the reader to. Some people are the way they are by accident, and some are the way they are by calculation. I've met Julia at several functions at Selma Rae's work, dinners, fundraisers, things like that. I want to like Julia so I pretended to myself there was a value in her I could connect to. But actually she's a different animal. She's a cold fish.

Maybe I'll post the analysis. But probably not. I mean, I changed the name to protect Selma Rae and if I went and made it more clear who she could be I could get slapped across the face, figuratively speaking, by that cold fish, and I don't think I'd like it.

But then again, since Julia's proud of her way of being, maybe she'd be flattered. I'm not willing to test the theory. I was talking to her at a dinner Selma Rae had to drag me to, and when she's done talking she just looks away. No goodbye or thank you or have a nice day, just moves on. Cold fish.

I got the A because I followed instructions and like I said, shared some insight. I think I also got the A because of the bell curve and the fact that most of the students in the class are not much older than 18, 20 years old, it being community college, so my works kind of stand out.

No comments: